Fathers Rights Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Fathers Rights

Fathers Rights are important.  Dads have many questions regarding child custody, child support, and other issues related to their children.  Below you will find some of the most commonly asked questions and their answers related to fathers rights.  These answers are general in nature nor are they all-inclusive.  It is always best to seek professional advice and guidance related to your specific situation.  Fathers Rights strives to provide Fathers with resources and guidance to help them deal with their situation.  This program can help fathers maintain a relationship with their children.

What are Fathers Rights?

Section 151.001 of the Texas Family Code identifies the rights of all parents.  This right apply equally to both the mother and father.  The family code is not intended to favor the mother over the father.

What Can Fathers Rights do for me?

Fathers Rights can help you deal with the challenges associated with child custody and divorce.  Understanding fathers rights and how to properly exercise these rights is important.  Fathers Rights can provide information and legal resources to help you resolve your child custody, child support, or other situations related to your child.  Children are best served by maintaining a relationship with their dad.

How Long has Fathers Rights Been Around?

Fathers Rights has been helping dads for over 40 years.  In Texas, the movement was previously known as Texas Fathers Rights but today is simply known as Fathers Rights.  The organization is still striving to help dads stop the gender basis in custody and child support decisions. Fathers Rights is a long-standing organization focused on fathers rights.

Can a father get custody of his child(ren) in Texas?

Yes, a father can get custody of his child(ren) in Texas.  In situations that involve a very young child, the court still tends to place the child with the mother making her the custodial parent.  Fathers have been more successful in gaining custody of older children.  However, each situation is unique.  Fathers who believe that it is in the best interest of the child to live with them should not be discouraged from seeking custody even for a very young child.

How does a father get his parental right?

Fathers are granted parental rights when they are placed on the birth certificate, sign an acknowledgment of paternity, or have a DNA paternity test.

Do fathers have the same rights as a mother?

Yes, mother and fathers have the same rights to the child.  In situations where the parents are no longer together because of separation or divorce, there often is a court order establishing child custody.  The court order will specify the rights of both parents naming one as the custodial parent and the other as the non-custodial parent.

What is a parenting plan?

A parenting plan is often used when parents are no longer parenting together or living together.  The parenting plan should include visitation times, length of visits, child support, and who is responsible for decisions of the child.  These decisions include such things as who makes school and/or medical decisions for the child.  Dispute resolution methods are also included in most parenting plans.

Do I have to pay child support to see my child?

No.  Child support is separate from access and visitation issues.  Fathers need to understand their visitation rights.

When does child support end?

Termination of child support is typically addressed in the court documents.  In general, child support stops accumulating if the parents change custody and go to the court to have the child support court order modified.  Otherwise, child support typically stops accumulating when the child turns 18 or graduates high school. 

Child support that is in arrears (back child-support) does not end when the child turns 18. The child support continues until all back child support is paid. In some situations, both parties may agree to reduce or eliminate the back child support but this takes a court order to actually stop the previous court order.

English | Español

Fathers Rights Initiative
can be contacted by
phone or text at 214-238-9200
Can you hug your child today? We can help!